1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone techies assemble!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KuKi, Feb 22, 2015.

1. KuKi

KuKi Veteran Member

So to put this shortly, I need a new phone. The one I'm currently using is a WIKO Darkmoon and it's quite shite. It freezes, glitches, it's always slowing down and stuttering...

My phone is very important as I use it 24/7 for everything! So I thought you guys could give a hand and help me pick a good one since I'm tired of buying shitty phones.

The specs I'm looking for are:
    "big" screen - I watch a lot of media on it
    decent camera - I take pictures of pretty much everything (if possible with a quick shutter)
    more than 1GB of RAM - preferably 2
    more than 1GB of internal storage - preferably 8GB as I have way too many apps I use daily and don't want it to slow down.
    a good battery that can last at least a day - (not that important since I'll be carrying a portable charger with me)

I know it's asking a bit too much of you but if you could do it <3

Until further notice my pick is:
    OnePlus One

Thank you!!

#1 KuKi, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. LaurenJuliet

LaurenJuliet Clan Leader-Leader
    Staff Member

3. Provios

Provios Making rainbows, raising unicorns - the usual!

I'd highly recommend you to take a peek at Sony Xperia Z3. Sony's Xperia skin is the least intrusive and the closest to vanilla android I've seen so far.The HTC One M8 is amazing on all points but the camera, as far as I can read in reviews. Also, the OnePlus One (if you can get an invite) is a VERY competitive choice (big screen, a lot of storage, and CHEAP for what specs you get!).

4. Lt Usher

Lt Usher Veteran Technician

Iphone 6 has the best camera hands down.
    Brother has the m8, it has a great screen but shitty camera. I only really use it because it doubles as a tv remote.

Other brother has the s5. It also has a great screen and does this thing where it can sense your finger without touching the screen. It just seems like black magic to me.

I use the iphone myself, ios8 is buggy as hell now.

if somehow you can get a miui phone, then then it's the perfect phone.

#4 Lt Usher, Feb 22, 2015
  5. Hector

Hector Technician + Clan Leader
    Staff Member

get urself a tablet and a cheap phone that only rings and texts and save yaself a bunch of money :) then fly to insomnia and meet the gang

6. KuKi

KuKi Veteran Member

i need a phablet :p simply because it fits in my pocket and i have everything at hand.

#6 KuKi, Feb 22, 2015
  7. Sensual

Sensual Veteran Member

But it also has the same specs of a 4 year old samsung.

If you want to make your money worth no need to spend more than 220€

CLICK ME
    5.5", Octa core @1.7GHz, FullHD, 2GB RAM, 14MP back & 8MP frontal cams, batery lasts up to 2 days with regular usage of texting/calls and so on, probs lasts a lot longer without any usage, never tested.

What more could you even ask for. In case you think these deals are "shady" or wtv, I have one and my dad has one as well, couldn't have been more happy about it.

8. Lt Usher

Lt Usher Veteran Technician

I believed specs mattered too, years ago. So I went ahead and got the quad core galaxy S3 when it just came expecting it to actually be fast. The thing was incredibly bugged out. Apps stuttered. PDF viewing was laggy. You'd think a quad core 1GB ram thing would be at least usable. Eventually the thing just died, the emmc chip fried itself and i had to throw it away because the only way to fix it was to buy a new motherboard. It was cheaper to buy a new phone in the long run. Was not going to buy more problems.

I had the iphone 4 when it just came out too. For the year and a half that I used it, it only restarted on me once.

Once.

Ios 6 was rock solid.

Tbh, if you want to brag about specs you'll never notice, go for specs. If you want performance with the sacrifice of flexibility, get ios. Best of both worlds, go for miui's xiomi.

There is no "best" phone.
    Only what is best for you.

I have owned all 3, and chose ios for me.

However, bear in mind, all the operating systems these days are slowly blending into the same thing. Android is getting more controlled, and IOs is getting more open. They're just short of meeting in the middle.

#8 Lt Usher, Feb 22, 2015
  9. Boston Broiler

Sony Xperia Z3 probably the best phone atm.

10. KuKi

KuKi Veteran Member

too expensive for my wallet

11. KuKi

KuKi Veteran Member

still more inclined to the oneplus one

12. LordFisch

LordFisch Veteran Member

I myself have a iPhone 6 (Company phone, so it was free:D). From a tech perspective I would think Sony Xperia Z3 would be the best choice right now.

13. Tech 4

Tech 4 Banned

I say htc m8. I dunno what you guys are on about it having a shitty camera lol its got a much better cam than iphone 6 and samsung galaxy s5 from what ive seen irl... >.> xD

14. RekA

RekA Veteran Member

I use the Sony xperia Z3 Compact which is excellent but a small phone, however it's sister phone is the Sony xperia Z3 which is much bigger, 2.5ghz quad core proc, 3 gig of ram, 20.1 MP camera and easily a 2 day battery life at average use! although I would say wait for the Z4 to come out which will be coming out with the new James Bond film because it's featured in that! :)

edited part!

just read the first page of the thread, didn't notice you said it was out of your price range before my block of text xD but then as I said the Z4 will be out shortly so the Z3 will go down and it's still the highest spec phone on the market as far as I'm aware! (Had all 3 of the OS, iOS, Android and Windows)
    Windows at this point are useless, iOS is far to locked down but very user friendly and Android has the most amount of customization but yeah, it's all personal preference :)

#14 RekA, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  15. Qubycs

Qubycs Veteran Member

I got le Samsung Galaxy Alpha, completely love it :3 <3

16. KuKi

KuKi Veteran Member

I have a couple months till I have the money and by then I shall see what are the options :)

17. InfiniteChaos

InfiniteChaos Veteran Member

Could always resort to the Samsung Galaxy Note® Edge. 3gb of ram and more than 32gb of storage. Might be a bit big though.

18. KuKi

KuKi Veteran Member

a wee bit too big xD remember this is supposed to be not only my phone but also a mobile "access point"

19. Evanss

Evanss Member

I've got a Sony Xperia Z3 and it's the best phone I've ever owned or used, Last phone was an iPhone 5s and you cannot compare the two.

Most important thing these days is battery life for me, I can go 2-3 days without charging and there's a mode called Ultra Stamina Mode which only leaves basic phone functions on, Text, Calls etc.. My phone at the time of writing this is on 60% if I turn on ultra mode, my battery should last 7 Days 21 Hours...

Camera is great!

Lots of functionality being android.

The downside is ofcourse, it's expensive.

If you're looking to spend a little less, I would recommend. http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/oneplus-one-1244307/review

That phone is amazing! I tested one before they released it in work for a few days and oh my god is it good!

20. KuKi

KuKi Veteran Member

in the main post i wrote that the OnePlus One is my current aim :) thank you for the info though!!