1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If i get a Terraria server who would be interested?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Overdose, Oct 8, 2013.

?

Would you play onm the server?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Overdose

Overdose Banned

Thinking of getting a Terraria server and was just wondering who would be interested in playing on it?

If enough interest is seen and the server will be used well:

Rules would be:
    1. Make your own base and put a sign on it
    2. No greifing
    3. Must be in KG and be on TS
    4. Must be civil to each other and act with other peoples interest in mind

The wall of flesh will be killed when i make the server so i would advise you be up to date with your gear OR you can ask to borrow some items of someone with spare gear so you can grind yourself some gear.

If you have any advice on some new rules or anything to add please tell me.

Possability if enough interest
    Must create a new character to play on the server so everyone is on the same level from the get go. (i am not a fan of this but if you guys want it i am willing to make a sacrifice for the cause :) )

2. Xi41

Xi41 Veteran Member

Thing is that the terraria server is finite (unlike minecraft) and as such we'll run out of space REALLY fast. By default the max you can have a max of 8 players (can be changed) but in my opinion that should be the number you're aiming for on a very large world. Furthermore one time boss fights which increase the difficulty will prevent new people from joining the server, hence there would need to be more than one server etc etc.

I support the idea, however the logistics will be difficult to sort out if there is some interest, as the game has been built with co-op in mind, but not as a dedicated server like minecraft.

The best solution is likely to form groups of members who set aside times each week to co- op and have someone host the game instead of having a dedicated pc/server setup. Will force everyone to stay on the same progression level etc.

3. Overdose

Overdose Banned

I understand that the progression may put others at a disadvantage that's why i want people to be up to date with the current patch before they join (via single player). It's the only way i see it being viable.

I also see your point of having someone host it BUT that requires 5 or so people on at the same time with time to spare which is a hard thing to sync and if it takes to long people will get bored and it will be just left with 3 or 2 people doing it which we mase well have a dedi server for :p.

4. Xi41

Xi41 Veteran Member

Ye, probablythe biggest issue is resources - having more than 8 people will prevent people from getting gear from chests, mining rare ores will be scarce, the world will also look like Swiss cheese etc. It's just difficult to pull off with a lot of people. =/ Lag will also be a huge issue etc.

5. Overdose

Overdose Banned

It might be a fact of, whoever wants to play on the server will be whitelisted and it's first come first serve only 6-8 slots available.

6. Suggett

Suggett Veteran Member

I voted no by accident, but i meant to hit yes, sorry...

7. Key

Key Veteran Member

I dont think it aint a good idea... Just like Xi said... Terraria isn't made for that... Its made for 4 players Co-Op only, and not random ppl joining and getting geared up. You should need rules that you cant mine at all.. Just build homes and kill bosses together.

8. Blyth

Blyth Man of Many Blocks

Hmmm, i'm not sure a 'permanent' server is what suits terraria the best, I think Xi summed it up well in his posts.

If you keep it to a small number of constant players then you may circumvent some of the issues but you still run the risk of one player sinking more hours in and finding the majority of the best ores and chests.

I feel that arranging a time to play and have everyone playing at that time would be a better co-op experience and prevent anyone from gaining an unfair advantage/falling behind in terms of gear and/or items.

9. Dovaan

Dovaan Veteran Member

I would just be happy with a server to play on period really.

10. Overdose

Overdose Banned

Will be getting the server tomorrow. Will make another topic with the info.

11. Dovaan

Dovaan Veteran Member

Thanks Overdoes. <3