1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with a home server

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Blue, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Blue

Blue Veteran Member

Hi I am wanting to setup a home server for, webhosting, filesharing, media streaming, gaming servers, gigalan, webaccess.

Have got quite a few partial pcs so parts are not a problem just need a server software (pref fee), though was thinking of a i3 with 16gb ram, so I believe I don't need a video card.

2. ISY

ISY Banned

Having a Graphics card is always a wise decision, so is hooking it up to a Monitor / Keyboard / Mouse, allowing localised controll over the box will not only save time / effort, but making dumping a lot easier

Personally your best bet is Windows 2008 Server edition RE2, it's my software of choice, it comes with all the needed materials

However if you want Stability/performance, i would highly suggest Debian/Linux BASE, mostly debian, both of which can be found quite easily online & the Windows 2008 SE2, can also be downloaded from their website under a trial / development license, but can also be found on ebay for next to nothing, if you have anymore questions let me know.

3. Tech 2

Tech 2 Unregistered/Unconfirmed

go for onboard video or a REALLY cheap card
    just so you can get a monitor on it.. even better if the card doesn't have a fan (just heatsink cooling)
    if you don't you can't really set it up properly.
    Also if you're not used to linux take windows because it takes a lot more time to set up linux with a windows network

4. Kelfaur

Kelfaur Veteran Member

I'd recommend CentOS if you're looking for free. A minimal/core install is my preferred choice and I just add the components I need, though if you're just starting out you could install with a GUI to make administration easier (just bearing in mind the GUI adds a very small performance overhead). You could also use Windows Server, you can download it on a 180 day trial. After that you'll just have to license it. If you're a student you can get it for nothing from DreamSpark, you just need an email address with an academic extension (.edu .ac.uk etc). If you're not a student, you might know someone who is? A lot of modern gaming motherboards don't usually come with onboard VGA, so you may need to purchase a card. You can pickup a used passively cooled card for nothing on eBay, it doesn't need to be high end with it being a server.

5. Blue

Blue Veteran Member

cheers, will try out CentOS.

6. Haradjad

Haradjad Veteran Member

This might be a little late to change your mind, but if you're having trouble with the not so good package manager in CentOS. You can switch to Ubuntu which isn't as bare as CentOS, but it's quite a bit easier for most stuff imo. I myself am using a CentOS on a VPS I'm renting for my upcoming 'company'.