1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help upgrading GFX

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Chalky, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Chalky

Chalky Veteran Member

Having FINALLY come to the conclusion that i need to upgrade my gfx, im clueless on what to buy.
    Im not exactly tech savy so confused woth 4 pin 8 pin ddr3 770i etc.
    so hoping me post me system spec maybe someone could help... budget is £100.
    Packard bell
    Ixtreme m5801
    intel i3 cpu 550 @3.20 ghz
    6gb ram
    64 bit os
    Nvidia gt420

I dont know what gfx would work with this machine :(

Any help apreciated

Thanks in advance
    Chalky

2. Collwyr

Collwyr Member

gonna be hard to find a half decent GFX card with that budget that isn't like outta date by a couple of years, unless you don't mind that?, and I wouldn't worry so much about 4pin/8pin thats just the cable required to connect your PSU to the GFX card.

but a card I would recommend for that budget (if your willing to spend a little extra) I'd go with a GTX 660 Ti last time I did some research when getting my current GFX card they were pretty strong on the benchmarking for it's price.

3. Chalky

Chalky Veteran Member

Ok thanks, ill look into it.
    Are they easy to install manually ( never done it before )

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

would my psu support the gtx 660 ti?

4. Collwyr

Collwyr Member

yeah easy to install and what have you, what Watt is your PSU.. if its over 600 with spare sockets just incase u need to plug in a new cable for the correct pin, you shouldn't have nothing to worry about

5. QBA

QBA Member

Make sure you boy GDDR 5 memory on the GFX card ! all other below that is pure crap, and if you want to spend some money and get the real deal look for 356 bits bus system on the card, but the gfx card now a day is so fast you do well with a 128 bits bus, but most IMPORTANT "GDDR5" memory, but there are some problems, the internal memorys and the CPU is to slow, so even if yo buy a insane good graphic card the computer cant use it as it should !

greetings / Qba