1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Olympics

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Clarkey, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Clarkey

Clarkey Veteran Member

So this is a bit of a weird question, but I was thinking today about all these big e-sports events and what not going on and trying to relate it to sports the best I could. The Olympics popped into my head and I was wondering if anything like the Olympics (perhaps not on the same scale) would ever happen but with video games. I'm not talking the exact same like every 4 years people run around the world dressed as Mario carrying a huge torch. But more like a massive universal and recognised gaming event held in a different country each year with every big video game that exists being played competitively. At first I though it was stupid but then I thought with more and more people growing up in a world of multiplayer games and the internet it doesn't seem so unrealistic. What are your thoughts?

2. KuKi

KuKi Veteran Member

So far we have LCS. But yes soon enough we will have olimpic esports for sure. Esports is already recognized as a college sport. Soon enough we will hit nation wide and then olimpics!

3. Sean

Sean Banned

As things progress, this will happen.

Competitive gaming has been a bit of a hard sell in some countries. Europe and Asia take competitive gaming more seriously than North America.

North American tried launching a show called Championship Gaming Series on DirectTV (A big satellite TV provider in the states). It had an extremely good concept with Teams(some kept there names, while other took some major city names) They took at the time, the mainstream competitive games, had a draft and you built your gaming franchise.

I am a bit biased, but if North America can get with the times and take competitive gaming seriously, I think it would help create a worldwide appeal thats already going on in EU and Asia.

Heres a clip from the TV show. Please note this happened over 8 years ago
    [video=youtube;F57OypXzFSE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F57OypXzFSE[/video]