1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those that play Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jhones, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Jhones

Jhones Veteran Member

Hey folks, I bought my old man a copy of Skyrim and he's since become terribly addicted :) Much to my mums annoyance.

Anyway, he's discovered what he thinks is the way it's meant to be played. He's attempting to complete as much of the game as he can without leveling.
    At first I thought he was crazy, but I reckon he's on to something.

98% of the enemies spawn based on your level, so no problem there.
    Use a mod to take 2 or 3 followers, who can level up to 6 whilst you remain lvl1. Take spellcasters so they can summon.
    You can use staves & scrolls as these don't level you up. And most importantly...Dragon Shouts are actually useful. Who past level 10 actually using them in combat? That's right no-one because they don't scale up with you so they rapidly become pointless. Playing this way you can lure 4 enemies into a corridor use Fire Breath and it'll actually kill them all :)

Thought I'd share, see if anyone else has tried this or would be tempted to do so.

2. Jhones

Jhones Veteran Member

3. Fluttering

Fluttering Konvict Guest

I wouldn't say Bethesda wants the game to be played like that as they, as developers, want you to explore the game, level up and get new items and be able to kill new NPCs. Not leveling up, in my opinion, would make the game repetitive and ultimately boring, affecting your experience largely, making you say that such a good game was boring, because you just wouldn't explore and use the game to its full extent. And come on, who doesn't want to have a full Daedric armor? ;)

4. Jhones

Jhones Veteran Member

Oh I agree, I don't think that's how Beth' want it to be played.
    But I feel the opposite to you. I've attempted to play Skyrim several times and without fail, I quit after about 30th level because I'm bored. By 30th level you've got kick arse weapons & armour and all you do is run over here click mouse to swing sword, repeat, repeat. I've never fought anything that was a challenge.

Now if you try to stay at lvl1, pretty much everything you face is a challenge :)

I should say that he's played over 800 hours before attempting this playthrough, so he's gotten just about everything out the game you can.

5. Fluttering

Fluttering Konvict Guest

I have about 300 hours into Skyrim, and never got bored. There's always something to do in Skyrim, some skill to level up or a dungeon to clear. Being an old RuneScape player, I decided to max out my character, so I always had a skill to level up.
    What I meant about how Bethesda wants you to play the game is for the first "playthrough" as they want you to explore the game. In your father's case, it's completely natural that he comes up with new ways to play the game, since he has so much play time.

6. Jhones

Jhones Veteran Member

It's weird because I thought Skyrim would be my perfect game. Huge game world filled with stuff & things.

But it's just missing something for me. And I think it's a lack of combat advancement. From lvl1 to lvl100 with a melee weapon you click the mouse and perform the same attack. There might be some advantage from perks, but it doesn't change that basic attack. I'd of loved for there to actually be some Skills you can unlock, you know.
    But then it wouldn't be an Elder Scrolls game would it. So I guess my hunt for my perfect RPG continues :)

7. Fluttering

Fluttering Konvict Guest

Yeah, melee combat wasn't the best in Skyrim.